What to expect when it comes to communication development?


Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

Do I need a referral to come to speech pathology?

No, you don’t need a referral. But you may get a referral from your doctor, see below for Medicare plans. We take referrals and recommendations for assessment from specialists, doctors, teachers and family.

We work closely with your child’s doctors, specialists, allied health providers and teachers. Working this way creates the biggest ripple effect for the child across all their environments.

Don’t wait and watch! There is no evidence for waiting if you are concerned about your child’s communication development. Come and get your child assessed for peace of mind. Parents have great instincts about their kids.

How do I get Medicare rebates for Speech Pathology?

Your child may qualify for a Medicare rebate, which is called a Chronic Disease Management plan. Your child has to have a chronic condition and accessing another allied health service such as getting their hearing checked. Talk to your GP today to see if your child may qualify.

The CDM Plan will give you up to 5 sessions that are partially rebated through Medicare. You can get approximately $54.60 reimbursed per session. 

How long are your sessions?

The initial appointment is 1 hour. Your child will be assessed with informal or formal assessments as needed. Amy will talk to you about her findings and will discuss if you child may need therapy or any further assessment. You will be provided with an initial assessment report.

Therapy sessions are:

Standard (up to 45 mins)

Long (up to 60 mins)

Short (up to 30 mins)

Amy will make recommendations on what type of therapy appointment will best suit your child. 

Dragonfly Speech Pathology also offer screening appointments when a child is booked or is on the waitlist to see the ENT surgeons. 


Will I see someone experienced or get a new graduate?

Amy Pollitt is the speech pathologist at Dragonfly Speech Pathology and has over 13 years of experience as a speech pathologist. Amy will take the time to listen and work collaboratively with the child’s family and other professionals involved.

Can I use NDIS funding?

You sure can – if you are self-managed or plan managed. For self-managed clients, we will require payment on the day of service.

How long will my child be in therapy for?

This can be a really tricky question to answer as it really depends on a few factors.

The severity and type of your child’s communication disorder will impact how long they will need therapy. As well as how much practice you can do at home.

At Dragonfly Speech Pathology we want to get kids out of therapy as soon as possible! We want to start the effect of change and let it ripple from there. We will make a plan together at the start of our therapy sessions so you will know what to expect and how to get the most out of your sessions.

Should I get my child’s hearing checked before we come to Dragonfly Speech Pathology?

Getting your child’s hearing checked is a great thing to do, and often one of the first things we will ask. Speech and hearing are very inter-related and we want to know what sounds your child can hear. However, you do not need to wait to have your child’s hearing tested first. We can always get our assessment process started and give you some recommendations.

Hunter ENT Hearing is conveniently located in the same building and they assess children’s hearing. Learn more here.